Sitting in Lagavulin Bay on the south coast of Islay it nestles between the neighbouring distilleries of Ardbeg and Laphroaig.
While it was home to much illicit distilling in the eighteenth century the first legal distillery started in 1816. In the late 1800s it came under the control of one Peter Mackie, one of the pre-eminent figures of the late 19th century Scotch Whisky industry. He was the creator of the famous White Horse blend. In 1927, following Peter Mackie's death his businesses were acquired by the Distillers Company and through this route Lagavulin has become part of what is today the drinks conglomerate Diageo.