The first bottles to bear the Lallier name appeared in 1906, when the Champagne house was founded by René Lallier who had married into a prestigious Champenois family. Lallier has been firmly rooted in the village of Aÿ ever since. In 1936, Aÿ was one of the seventeen villages to be classified as Grand Cru in Champagne, a clear indication of the quality of the grapes that grow on its famous hillsides and the remarkable wines they produce.
In 1996, René-James Lallier, the founders grandson, carried out major modernisation work on the winery and refurbished the cellars in which Lalliers Champagnes are aged. He enlisted the help of Francis Tribaut who, at the time, worked as a consultant to some of the most prestigious Champagne houses, as well as managing his familys domaine in Romery.
Having worked so closely together, when René-James Lallier decided to sell his business he naturally asked Francis Tribaut if he was interested in buying it. Francis took up the challenge, convinced of the potential of Lallier brand.
Free to craft wine in the spirit of an artisan domaine, Francis vinifies each parcel of grapes separately using a Lalliers own house yeast, and he keeps the dosage low to create Champagnes with real character and finesse.