Francesco Peroni established his first brewery in Vigevano, in Pavia province, in 1846. It was called Birra Peroni and still bears the founders name to this day.
It was a combination of climate, close proximity to the mountains where ice and glacial water was plentiful - and the quality of ingredients that helped Francesco create such a distinctive pale, medium-strength beer that within a short time had become vastly popular.
In 1864, due to extremely high demand, a second brewery was built in Rome and Francescos son, Giovanni, took over the running of the new branch.
Eight years later, Peroni headquarters officially transferred to the capital city. Over the next 70 years, the business went from strength to strength to become the biggest brewery in Italy.
In 2005 the brand was re-launched internationally. Peroni Nastro Azzurro made shopping history when it opened 'Emporio Peroni', a minimalist boutique. Situated on one of the world's most stylish thoroughfares, Sloane Street in London, it sat comfortably alongside other leading Italian fashion brands.
Emporio was so exclusive that only window shopping was permitted the ultimate way to drive peoples interest and desire.