Francesco Peroni established his first brewery in Vigevano, in Pavia province, in 1846. It was called Birra Peroni and still bears the founders name to this day.
It was a combination of climate, close proximity to the mountains where ice and glacial water was plentiful - and the quality of ingredients that helped Francesco create such a distinctive pale, medium-strength beer that within a short time had become vastly popular.
In 1864, due to extremely high demand, a second brewery was built in Rome and Francescos son, Giovanni, took over the running of the new branch.
Eight years later, Peroni headquarters officially transferred to the capital city. Over the next 70 years, the business went from strength to strength to become the biggest brewery in Italy.